..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: My new favorite toy.
BlogMenu

Oct 24, 2008

My new favorite toy.

It's funny how opposites attract, even in friendships.

Me... the glam girly girl, always dolled up in make up and hair teased and poofed, usually in all things glittery or bold, and I adore shops like bebe and Express.

Rachel... girly in a conservative way, wears make up light and very natural, every hair always perfectly in place, always looking corporate chic, and could be the poster child for Ann Taylor or Gap.

But tonight, Rachel became my barbie doll and I glammed her up a little. In the 16 or so years we have been friends, this is only the 2nd time she's allowed me to give her a makeover, but as she said "All part of a day's work at Scarlett Lillian Photography." She even let me put fake eye lashes on her for her first time ever wearing them! What I found even funnier was her saying "I don't care looking like this for a photo but ahhhh, no way would I let you do this to me if we were going out in public." As I said back "Ummm, gosh forbid someone sees you in public, but who cares that THOUSANDS of people are going to see you on my blog!" LOL But as she said back, "Well, uh, that's different, I don't have to see their reaction going 'oh my goodness, look at that girl!'" (Rolling my eyes, ohhhh Rachel! Always the shy one! he he So be sure to leave her some love!)

I needed her to model because I just got a new toy, the Alien Bee Ring Flash. In wedding photography, I adore natural light and some off camera lighting, but fashion studio lighting is a whole other field I know little about and have been wanting to learn more. I love flipping through fashion magazines and eating up their juicy lighting and challenging myself to figure it out. It's the kind of thing I wish I could rewind and go to school for, but instead now I'm having to teach myself. I recently got Zack Arias' One Light DVD which is AMAZING. It's like Lighting For Dummies, seriously, I highly recommend it. But then I kept hearing buzz about the Ring Flash, like on Joel Grimes' blog, and how it's known as the "beauty dish." So I had to get it!

This has also been great practice for me because the night before last I was discussing with Rachel and Beth, who was in town for a night hanging out, that I realized I have intimacy issues in photography. Meaning, I'm more naturally a wide shooter, and it's rare I get a close up shot of anyone. Even the previous blog entry with Cheryl, the close up shots were cropped in editing. So I'm trying to work on sticking a camera (and now a huge Ring Flash) in people's faces. ha!

And I thought as a step toward working on my intimacy issues would be first, gulp, posting a SUPER close self-portrait I took while I was waiting for Rachel to arrive to work and trying to figure out how the Ring Flash worked. And wow, this is vulnerable, seriously, I only have on foundation and mascara. (Oh yeah, nooo, I'm not naked, I have on a tube top you can't see!)





I'm excited to open up the door to this new level of photography and learning more about the language of lighting. As I said in my F-Stop Beyond interview, "That's the thing I love about photography, there's always something new to learn and continue pushing yourself to be better and better with each photoshoot. And I hope I never stop learning."

Here's some results from the semi-photoshoot of my beautiful Client Concierge and one she grabbed of me too!






I couldn't stand it, I had to add some lipstick this time!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scarlett, can you please tell me what video light you use? There are so many options and i have been trying to narrow it down. Just wanted to know which you were using.

Thanks so much,

Lauren

October 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You two are so cute! Can't wait to see what else you do with your ring flash. I have been thinking about getting one myself. Now I might have to!
Love K

October 24, 2008 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Donadio Photography said...

Such fun!! cant wait to see all the awesome stuff you do with your new light...and Rachel you look fierce!!!

October 24, 2008 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Mary Marantz said...

you are just STUNNING in that first picture!! gorgeous!

October 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger April Hollingsworth said...

I've been wanting a ring flash for about a month now!!!

October 24, 2008 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

oh my gosh scarlett, you are so beautiful! You and Rachel both!!

October 25, 2008 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger Beautiful Moments Photography said...

I love the first one, with your fresh face and natural beauty :)

October 25, 2008 at 11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ring flash is amazing!!! LOVE IT!

October 26, 2008 at 10:50 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Lauren- I wasn't using a video light here. It was a Ring Flash. But the one I was using before was too small and not powerful enough, so I just bought a Lowell ID Light which I haven't used yet. For Cheryl's photoshoot though, I used a generic candlelight spotlight I bought from Walmart. But I don't like how orangey it makes the skintones and it was tricky to work around that!

Thanks everyone else! :-)

October 27, 2008 at 2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlett, my dear sweet Scarlett. You probably do not even remember me, but I lived across the street from Elizabeth Shaver and you would come over with her when you were in high school. You were beautiful then and you are even more beautiful now -- if that is even possible. I am so proud of you! I'm sorry to hear about your dad -- enjoy every minute you have.
Love, Mrs. McDonald

October 28, 2008 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

WOW, oh my gosh, of course I remember you and babysitting for your sweet kids. How are the kids? I bet so growny! How did you find my website?

October 28, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.