..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Why do YOU care?
BlogMenu

May 19, 2010

Why do YOU care?

It's one of those nights I can't sleep.

As I watch the dark turn to light outside my window, I'm trying to calm my stirring mind by reading other people's blogs. As I read them, I'm thinking about how much less I've been blogging my personal thoughts... and to be honest... how much I've enjoyed the break.

The break from blogging.

The break from twittering my every thought.

The break from checking Facebook a gazillion times a day.

The break from this new crazy thing called social media that sucks us in. Especially us photographers.

Instead, as I've backed away, I've been refocusing my time and energy back to real relationships.

Earlier today I had lunch with a good friend. One of those people in life who know the real me, not the persona of me that someone might perceive from reading my blog. Her name is Mary, and she was my boss back in my corporate days of cubicles and when I was required to wear {shudder} pantyhose... long before I was a photographer. After we both left the job, Mary & I remained friends and enjoy getting together for lunch every few months to simply catch up on... life. Not through an email, not through a text message, not through the phone. In person. Face to face.

At one point during the lunch, I asked her if she was on Facebook yet and she scrunched her face and said "No, I just don't care about it."

And I sat there thinking, "And WHY do I care so much about it?" As a whole, why does our society care? Why do we feel the need to connect with the people in our virtual world instead of the people in our real world? Why do we feel the need to update people on Twitter about our every thought? Do we fear that if we don't blog, Facebook or Twitter about something happening, that maybe it didn't really happen?

I've certainly been guilty of the social media obsession in the past, and yes I do think there are marketing benefits for photographers... but this past Easter weekend changed how I viewed everything. Mom and I planned an out of town retreat and I promised her I would leave my laptop AND iPhone at home to simply give her all my attention. As we sat at dinner overlooking the beach the first night, she grabbed my hand across the table, looked me in the eye and said:

"I can't tell you how much it means to have dinner with just you, and not you and your iPhone."

Ouch.

How did I become THAT daughter?

Who in your life should you call up today and ask how they are doing, simply because? Who in your real life are you neglecting because you are spending too much time in your virtual life?

I encourage you to take a break from the need to update the world about your life and instead choose to simply live your life savoring the small joys that can't be found on the other side of the computer screen. As I've stepped away from the virtual life, I've been reminded that the faces in real life are much more beautiful than any I've seen on Facebook.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Katrina Wheeler Photography said...

Scarlett,

This is really a huge epidemic in our current society.. Its really painful and your words rang true I know for me, and for probably many many others.. Its almost like a drug addiction(I would guess, never had one)..I have to pick up that iphone to check it, WHY? ITs not like I have THAT many inquiries, or that many emails.. Or that they are more important then who I'm with at that time.. We've put it above all else and I hate that too! I'm constantly feeling like I need to cancel my iphone just to have accountability to not check it a billion times, but I don't think I could actually do that!!
Anyway, thanks for sharing this, its close to my heart too! I desire those authentic, real, in person relationships, not the fake e-style ones.. I hope they resurface again soon and maybe some of this social media can die down!!

Katrina

May 19, 2010 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Moongypsyi said...

Great point! It's easy to get caught up in all the "social" nonsense and lose track of ourselves. We have to take a breather from our "virtual" lives sometimes. Me included lol!
~c

May 19, 2010 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger Melissa Bonacci said...

Very VERY True Scarlett! it has become a lil much for alot of people! We are checking our inbox, our texts and out facebook status even before we open our Bible's or say a quick word of prayer! Thank you for this reminder, there is MORE to LIFE! :)

May 19, 2010 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger everydaywonders said...

Dear Scarlett,
I've been following your blog for a few months and admiring your talent and work. I've been wishing and trying to work to get my own photography business started. The 'Why do YOU care?' blog has moved me. You have uncovered a different side of you that I have not seen in previous blogs, and for that I am thankful. A successful business woman like yourself can easily be distracted and taken away from what matters the most to her, but YOU have elevated my respect and admiration for you ten folds.
I too am guilty of refreshing my facebook page every second, checking my iphone every minute... it's disgusting, and it's all taking me away from important things in my life. It is all consuming me and because of it I have not been paying attention to what I love to do... photography. I am ashamed of it, and YOUR post made me think and made me say to myself: "ENOUGH wasting time".

Thank you Scarlett, thank you. Keep talking from your heart, and keep cherishing those special and beautiful face-to-face times with your mom, friends and family.

All the very best,
Dania.

May 19, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Mary Marantz said...

Excellent post Scar!!

xoxo
M:)

May 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger No Eye Has Seen Photography said...

Very well said! I needed to hear that :)

May 19, 2010 at 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. What a reality check. I think we've all been guilty of spending too much time online, too much time on our cell phones and have forsaken our "real" relationships. Thank you for posting and bringing this to everyone's attention! :)

May 19, 2010 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

So true! I deactivated Facebook for a while and it was soo nice. I got back on to keep everyone updated about the baby news, but it doesn't have the same pull that it used to. I guess domino effect, since I wasn't on FB I kinda slacked on Twitter and Blogger too. It's crazy how much those social media relationships can actually distract you from the real relationships in your life!

May 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM  
Blogger April Hollingsworth said...

I can proudly say that I don't twitter or have an iPhone, but yes, I use Facebook.

May 20, 2010 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger LC said...

So sad but true. I can't believe how much all those sites consume my life! I finally cancelled my myspace page after not using it for almost a year...not sure why I even hesitated! But I still have my business myspace, business blog, personal blog, business FB, personal fb, business twitter, personal twitter, & more! It's too much!

May 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I loved this post, Scarlett! I've often said, "Instead of being online so much, I need to see more (real-life) FACEes and read more BOOKs!"

May 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

awesome post Scarlett!

May 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.