..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: A tool to lose weight that really works!
BlogMenu

Mar 10, 2011

A tool to lose weight that really works!


I remember in college, taking a nutrition class, the professor started day 1 by saying, "Forget all the fad diets out there, the only way you will ever lose weight is if you burn more calories than you consume. It's not a fad, it's science in the way our bodies are created."

Yet, who wants to count calories? In my 20s, I must have tried every fad diet and healthy way of eating. I've done ones where you drink only a special "Hollywood" juice, I've done the Master Cleanse, I've tried eating all raw food, I've done vegetarian, I've worked out and worked out and worked out.... in all my attempts, the only thing that ever really worked was when I took some ephedra pills which I do NOT endorse. Yes, I dropped like 15 pounds, but after I ended up in the emergency room for my heart racing and swelling, needless to say I threw them in the trash and have never taken them since.

Then the year before last year, I trained for a marathon in honor of my dad who lost his battle to cancer... but even training for a marathon, I've always maintained my same normal weight. After years of trying the crazy fad diets and comparing myself to what I see in magazines, I finally reached a peace about, ok, this is how God made me, at this size, I'm not going to stress about it anymore. After losing my dad, the important thing is, I'm healthy, and that's all that matters. Not to mention, now with meeting Stephen, there is no more beautiful feeling than being a guy who loves me exactly as I am. So in the past few years, I simply stopped "trying" to watch my weight, as we women continuously struggle with.

My experiment began first with, after the marathon, I put up my running shoes. I was curious what would happen to my body if I stopped working out for a year. I gave myself permission to simply NOT run or feel guilty if I didn't go to the gym. I was simply sick of the gym, not to mention, I was fed up with how much time it would take from my week by the time you go workout, come home shower, etc. Some days I wouldn't get to my desk until at least afternoon.

So I didn't work out, and I ate pretty normal.... and I maintained my weight. No crazy gaining weight. I fluctuate a few pounds here and there, but nothing extreme in the year I didn't work out.

But then a couple of months ago, I hit the one year anniversary of having run the marathon, and ok, I admit, I missed running a little bit, mostly for stress relief. And with the wedding coming up, ok, what bride doesn't want to feel her best on the wedding day? I told myself, I just want to feel strong and good, so I'll slowly get back into running, and maybe stop by the gym a few times to lift some weights.

Then Stephen told me about this app he discovered on the iPhone called "Lose It!" It is a calorie counting app that helps you keep track of what you consume in a fun iPhone kind of way, as well as what you burn when you do exercise. In the beginning, you can set a target weight to work toward, and it will tell you how many calories you should consume each day, and how many you have left to eat.

I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a whirl, but I won't take it too seriously. I didn't want to deprive myself, but I was curious just how many calories I do eat on a normal day. So it just started more as a curiosity, and now has turned into SUCH a great tool I use. I've been using it for 5 weeks now and this morning on the scale I was excited to see I have lost 10 pounds! For me to lose 10 pounds, that's a big deal because I'm barely ever to get below a certain number on the scale. Even more exciting, last Saturday, I put on my shooting pants, and they were baggy on me, so a few days I went to buy some new pants and discovered I dropped 4 pants sizes. I've never been able to wear the size I bought the other day!

And what is so freeing is that, I don't really feel like I've been "trying" to lose weight. I've still been eating what I want, just within the calorie range the app has given me.

I just thought it was super cool to see this app actually works, so I wanted to share it with you and my story if you are looking for a good tool to help you shed some unwanted pounds.

And sorry, no I'm not brave enough to show you my before and after shots like all those cheesy diet advertisements do! I'm not THAT brave! ha

:-)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Danielle said...

That's very cool! I actually have been using a similar app called My Fitness Pal. It also lets you count calories, but it has a MASSIVE restaurant database, and has almost every item on every menu of most chain restaurants and/or items in the grocery store. It's definitely a great tool and really does work! Congrats!

March 10, 2011 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on the lost weight!! I used that app leading up to my wedding and found it really interesting balancing calories and workouts.

March 10, 2011 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Dixie said...

Wow, thats great Scarlett! I love it, Im gonna get it too. I think your beautiful no matter what your size! Im going to do it too! Thanks for sharing!!

March 11, 2011 at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.