..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Scarlett Lillian Workshop reviews.
BlogMenu

Mar 31, 2010

Scarlett Lillian Workshop reviews.


My life's mission statement:


Before I buy a piece of camera equipment, I read reviews. Before I go on trips and choose a hotel, I read reviews. I love to see the good and the bad of what people are saying before I make an investment.

Though I've been familiar with the feedback people gave privately in their post-workshop surveys, public reviews are now coming out about my workshop, both good reviews and other candid reviews. I think it's a GREAT thing to show both sides of the experience. While I enjoy the great reviews and am excited I could be of help to most of the girls who attended, I actually appreciate the more candid reviews because those are the ones I learn the most from how to improve as a teacher and create a better value for the investment next time around.

It reminds me of the time in college in my journalism reporting class. Mrs. Tripp walked in the first day of class with a red pen in her hands and held it up. The first words she said were straight to the point:

"See this red pen? Get familiar with it, because I am going to bleed red ink all over your papers this semester. Get ready."

At first, it made me nervous. I'm sure in teacher reviews, Mrs. Tripp got some bad reviews for her style of teaching. But by the end of the semester, I realized, as much I had also griped and complained throughout the semester about her, she in the end was my greatest teacher I had had to date because she wasn't afraid to give it to me straight. Though her approach to teaching was different than how I would have taught, and trust me, I tried to fight her time and time again about it, in the end, I chose to walk away and focus on the positive things I did learn from her, which after I put my stubbornness aside, I realized was quite a lot.

When deciding to attend a photography workshop, I WANT you to be informed before you go, whether mine or someone else's. I too have gone to workshops I have put a lot of money into where I didn't feel like it met my expectations, but I have always walked away with a few new tips and tricks to implement into my business, and made great new friendships in the process. That was worth the investment to me.

I decided to start hosting my own workshops because my inbox gets flooded everyday with questions from other photographers. (I encourage you to leave your questions on my FB page here where I will soon be starting video blogs to help you out and answer them!) While I try my best to answer each email and help on my own time, it does interfere with serving my brides and grooms. So I wanted to create an opportunity through workshops where you can come ask your questions. I have never said I'm the richest photographer, most booked photographer, best artistic photographer. I have never said my way is the right way, it is simply... my way. I love empowering women through my workshops to go after their dreams. And with Jesus at the center of my business, that has been the source of any success my business has been given. That's MY message. If that can be of help to you, that's great! As my friend Mike Colon said at his workshop I attended, "I don't care what level of photographer you are , you ALL have something to give and share with others."

If I never give another workshop, that's fine by me. But I give them for you because I want you to succeed. I remember how frustrating it was starting out and just wishing I could sit down with someone for a day to answer all my dumb questions. If you are still interested in attending one of my future workshops and feel I could be helpful to you, sign up to my newsletter at the very bottom of my blog where you will be the first to be notified once I've set new dates. :-)

In the meantime, here's some Scarlett Lillian Workshop reviews from gals that got a lot out of the weekend:

Mandi Singer's review
http://mandisinger.squarespace.com/blog/2010/2/25/scarlett-lillian-workshop-day-1-2.html

Amy Gibbons's review
http://www.stillframesphotography.com/engagements/scarlett-lillian-workshopday-twowhitney-thompsoncycle-10-americas-next-top-model-winner.html

Kerry Andriuk's review
http://www.nativeskyphotography.com/blog/the-fabulous-friends-i-made-at-scarlett-lillians-workshop-maryland-portrait-photographer

Erin Campbell's review
http://erincampbellphotography.blogspot.com/2010/02/scarlett-lillian-workshop.html

Sarah Bray's review
http://75.125.179.157/~sarahbra/2010/02/scarlett-lillian-workshop-day-1-orlando-wedding-photographer

Virginia Rhoad's review
http://memories-by-virginia.blogspot.com/2010/02/hmmm.html

Kayla Mercedes' review
http://www.kaylamercedesphotography.com/?p=311

Esther Kraus' review
http://www.estherlouise.com/blog/2010/03/the-fabulous-scarlett-lillian

Jerri Lynn's review
http://photographybyjerrilynn.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-blog-for-new-year.html

I believe the greatest testimony comes in the long run, if the education a person invested in paid off after time has passed. I decided to move forward with hosting group workshops after I got this email a year later after Katie DeWinter came to my 1-on-1 workshop. I was super excited to read her words about how much her business has grown since our day together.



4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Scarlett,
I've been reading All of the things people have been saying about you and Stephen. Wow. Some people are just plain mean. As you know, this is my first year teaching high school and if I had a dollar for every time a student said they hated me or that I was a terrible teacher or that I gave them too much work, I could retire right now. I really like that you have the courage to never fight back with catty comments and sink down to their level. All I can say is those people on the other website shuld hope their clients never find that page. Ryan and I are coming up on our one year anniversary and I love our pictures today as much as I did the first time I saw them!! Keep on keeping on and know that those who really matter, your clients, love your photography style (thats why we hired you and recommend you to anyone we meet looking for a photographer!!). Your style is not for everyone but that's why there is more than one wedding photographer in the world and why there are so many flavors of ice cream;-)

ps excuse the typos, I'm still adjusting to the world of iPhone ;-)

March 31, 2010 at 6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scarlett,
I can only imagine the feelings running through you in the past few days since all this started happening. You've handled the personal attacks with grace and personally, in my humble faceless internet opinion, it takes a heap load more character to face the critiques than it does to be the critic.
- Lori Moss

April 2, 2010 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Mandi Singer Photography said...

Scarlett, you are a blessing to the photography world.

"...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded! - Emerson
If this is your life's mission statement then, YOU ARE A INCREDIBLE SUCCESS!! You have helped me in ways that I will never be able to explain to you. Because of you, I KNOW that all I want is to be the best Mandi Singer possible. You are a big part of why I feel such a change in my spirit and have been able to stop comparing myself to other photographers and accept the unique gifts that I have. I can not thank you enough for helping me on my journey!!

April 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Scarlet, I will say THANK YOU! I did love the workshop and I did learn so much from all of you. Stephen included! I gained so much from the experience. Yes, I was hoping to do a "Spend A Day" but I chose to come to the workshop where I met amazing women and 3 amazing men too! Perhaps it's because I didn't know what to expect... Yes, the photoshoots were a bit crazy but they were fun and we could see everyone's unique ideas. I love the photo's I have from the workshop and I have many fun shots that I haven't had the time to post yet. Why, well because since returning back home and revamping everything about my business from the information gained not only from you but from everyone in attendance at the workshop I have been incredibly busy! THANK YOU-THANK YOU-THANK YOU!!! Thank You Jessica Ashley! Thank You Amy Gibbons! Thank You Kayla Mercedes! Thank You Kathryn Brown! Thank You to The Bui Brothers! and Thank You Stephen Knuth! Yes, I met other amazing and extremely talented women of photography but these impacted me the most and inspired me to step outside of the box and my comfort zone and just go for it. Did we eat every meal with you? No, we ate where we chose to eat and with whom we wanted. Did I care that Stephen was there? No, He was gracious and helpful beyond compare. He even spent extra time with some of us Sunday night shooting inside the hotel. He is a very patient man too! Did he have to do that? NOPE... He just did. And he set up the lights and carried everything on Sunday... Yes, some of us helped so that he could take a few pics too. And some of us carried things in off of the beach to be helpful so what? It was your first workshop I'm sure it won't be your last and I'm sure that the next attendees will be thrilled to be there and yes, some will not like it. But.... some will! My notes stink but I'm not so old that my memory is gone yet! Would have loved to have printed material to bring back home though. ;o) So when the video is ready I hope you let me know!

April 26, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.