..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Why I love Picasso.
BlogMenu

Mar 31, 2010

Why I love Picasso.



So there's been a lot of heated arguments going on in the wedding photography industry lately about "rockstars." Somehow our industry has formed it's own little micro-celebrity world. Somehow, people have lumped my fiance and I into it and made us targets to pick on. Somehow, photographer tabloids have popped up and are trying to imitate the Hollywood gossip-holic, PerezHilton.com.

Personally, I think the whole word "rockstar" is ridiculous. The bottom line is, we, photographers, take pictures of OTHER people. We are not rockstars. It is our job to make our clients feel like rockstars.

Yes, there are photographers who have blogs. Some post only photos. Some post photos and personal stories. For me, I graduated with a degree in magazine journalism, I am above all else a storyteller in the depths of my heart. I need to write just as much as I need to take photos. So I choose to write about (some of) my personal life and showcase photos. That is why I call it my photo journal instead a blog. If you are inspired by my story and my faith, that's awesome, if not, I won't be offended if you stop reading. But whatever you do, please don't call me a rockstar.

In addition, other people are tearing down people's art. In a day and age where any one can go buy a digital camera and turn it on auto and take a photo, the more experienced photographers are standing up to preserve the art of photography. I'm all for preserving the art, but I'm not all for tearing people down to accomplish that. And it's not just me getting criticized, I have heard story after story from others at all levels getting attacked. My heart breaks for those who have shared their experiences with me. This isn't high school. The bullying needs to stop.

The bottom line is, we all see the world a different way through our cameras. For the very reasons other photographers critique my work saying it's overexposed, overcontrasted, oversaturated, that is the VERY reason I love it. That is the very reason my clients hire me. That is the very reason my wall is full of thank you notes from clients raving about how much they loved their photos.

That is the very reason I have always loved the painter Picasso. In his world, people had 2 faces. In my world, the grass is neon green. Just like beauty, art is in the eye of the beholder.

I'm ready for a movement in the photography industry that CELEBRATES the fact that as photographers, we have the coolest job in the world!

Let's CELEBRATE that each of us has a unique perspective in how we document the world.
Let's CELEBRATE the beauty out there that is yet to be photographed.
Let's CELEBRATE that we get the honor to preserve family history for people.
Let's CELEBRATE that God has given us a gift and a passion and we live in a free country that allows us to pursue that.
Let's CELEBRATE individuality instead of pointing fingers.
Let's CELEBRATE each other as artists and stop tearing each other down.


"My mother said to me, 'If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope.' Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso."
~Pablo Picasso

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Christina Masters said...

So, I am completely out of the loop and had no idea there was all this drama going on - all I can say is I'm sure at some point I have commented that you are a rockstar, and I will stand by that, because to me that means you are amazing at what you do and who you are! In the short time I met you and Stephen at the Showit chat at WPPI, I felt like I was in the presence of two AMAZING people who are awesome at what they do, which is SO much more than photography - you both are warm, welcoming, and embrace others with your amazing spirits, and I am so happy to have met you and be a part of this community of photographers with you!
ROCK ON!!

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Nikole said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Thank you for this post.

I am a relative newcomer here, and doing everything I can to learn, and share, and give back. Some of the nastiness I see back-and-forth is discouraging, to say the least.

You are one of the first people I began following. You are honest, and capture beautiful emotions. While my personal style may not be exactly like yours, yours is absolutely valid and beautiful. And, honestly, styles are fluid and changing; and there are a million perceptions of what is beautiful, so who am I (or who is anyone) to criticize?

To be fair, though, I do take a bit of issue with your anti-"rock star" stance (hear me out--it's a perception thing again!).

To me, the "rock stars" that I see throughout this industry are the folks who don't just take beautiful pictures; but who have the confidence to be honest and humble, and work to share what they love to improve the photography industry as a whole. Those people, to me, are rock stars--they get themselves out there, and share their art.

Keep up the good work, and know that for every critic, you have at least a hundred not-quite-so-vocal supporters.

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

AMEN sister!! when I was a little girl I asked my mom if i could color the top of a tree purple and she said..honey you can color it any color you want, that set me free as and artist!!! Love the way you see the world!!! I am sorry ppl are mean to you, it is a reflection of their hearts and not your art!!!!

March 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Right on, girl! Great post!

March 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love to read what everyone is thinking! Great way of putting this into words Scarlett. Another reason why I love reading your works!

March 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Patricia Knight said...

Very well said Scarlett. In order to be successful, we should support one another, not destroy one another.

March 31, 2010 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Feuza said...

enough with the grumpies right!
the word as Alicia says rockstar does not bother me, some folks have said that about me, a rock star can be some one I look up to but if people are using that to bash others, than that is sad, I have heard some folks be very grumpy about newcomers such as myself, and I too understand how we need to understand the art of photography and perfect it, that is our job but dont put me down or anyone else down because of your own insecurities, there is a great talk by the youngrens titled keeping it real in a rockstar world, worth hearing, I am glad I am not in the loop of this gossipness, sick, should people just be working or something
great post! love your style but love your personality ever more so

March 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've seen the conversations going on and honestly it's getting to be ridiculous, so I've stayed out of it. Everyone has "rockstar" photographers they look up to, even the people who started this hate movement. For some that rockstar might have Rocky Gunn or Helmut Newton or maybe it's David Jay or Mike Colon? Who cares? The important thing is that they found inspiration from somewhere. It inspired them to create, and that is the only thing that matters. They picked up a camera, and I'm sure they sucked when they took their first photo, but they learned and grew in their photography. So the next time any of us (myself included) decide to be hateful and "call out" other photographers, maybe we should think about how that reflects on us. MYSELF INCLUDED. I'm not perfect and there are times when I am a hater, too. But ultimately, it doesn't matter what someone else's work looks like and it doesn't matter if someone else likes my work, either. If we are artists, we really don't need anyone else's approval. And if we are business owners, then we only need our clients' approval.

March 31, 2010 at 2:05 PM  
Blogger Susan Justice said...

Dearest Scarlett!

The very fact that your world is neon green is one of the BIGGEST reasons why I love your work so much. You see beauty in a bright colorful world and capture the love and grace between families, couples, and the beauty of a women! For that, I celebrate YOU as an artist! I love your work and stand by you 300%!


One of your biggest fans,

Susan

March 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Jodi Lee said...

I so agree with everything you just wrote!!!

PS - love your work (and your engagement ring ;) )

March 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Scarlett,
The the parade of people behind you is sad. People should know what's going on. This is not everyone "picking on you". Yes, the people making rude comments are out of line, but the majority of the conversation is spot-on. We hope you will take the criticism and apply it to your career.

http://www.leeannmariephotography.com/for-photographers/scarlett-lillian-workshop/

http://www.truephototalk.com/truth-in-our-industry/

March 31, 2010 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your an amazing photographer Scarlett Lillian and there are um at least 20 of us who stand behind you! That I know of hehehe.(OK well there were the guys too!) You are an inspiration and a breath of fresh air. Your faith and conviction and love of people and God is what drew me to you in the first place! You and all of the amazing women you brought together in Jacksonville will forever be in my heart. Let the meanies say what they want you just keep on inspiring others to be themselves and to grow~~

March 31, 2010 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger Christina Masters said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

March 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

I might not be one for the gossip rings, Praise God, but I value what you have said! I pray that people take this to heart and truly let these words sink in. WE are artists, all gifted uniquely and beautifully! Praising and encouraging differences and lending a hand when needed is the duty we have as professionals.

Thank you for taking this risk Scarlett! It is much appreciated and hopefully will be heard by all beyond just the ears.

March 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Well said! Amen, sister!

April 1, 2010 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger John and Marissa said...

Can I get an AMEN?! I, for one, have come across several photographers who are so "tight" about their information, they don't want to share. I truly appreciate your openness and honesty...What an inspiration you are! And, what a great lesson to teach us to follow what our hearts on what we consider art...you don't have to do what OTHERS think is right.
I told my husband...If I ever think too much of myself to NOT share what I know, smack me in the face! LOL!

April 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Lady said...

Hi Scarlett- I really appreciate your post. I'm turned off by attitudes that tear people down. I appreciate your humbling post.

I do wonder which sites you're talking about that are like the Perez Hilton of the blog boards. While there's a lot to be learned from SWPB on Flickr, there seems to be a lot of tearing down.. I think it's good when we can build each other up :)

April 4, 2010 at 11:50 AM  
Blogger Golfergreene said...

Hi Scarlett,
I stumbled upon your blog about a year ago and just love your work, as well as, your personal stories. It is so nice to see someone who is so positive and willing to help others in their craft. I for one, do not think the phrase "rock star" is a negative. If that is what someone is going to "call you" (so very high school), then embrace it, get your rock star on!!

Keep up the good work!!

-Sarah

April 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love It... So many haters in this industry.

April 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.