..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Chasing the impossible dream...
BlogMenu

Feb 19, 2010

Chasing the impossible dream...


My marathon shirt I'll be wearing with all your loved ones names you asked me to run for!













Oh.

My.

Gosh.

The day has arrived. Sunday I have to run a marathon.

Gulp.

Deep breath.

I can do this.

I CAN do this.

In all honesty, had I not blogged about this back in September, I probably would stay tucked in my bed on Sunday, made some kind of excuse, and not go through with it. I mean, we're talking 26.2 miles. Me? It seems like such an IMPOSSIBLE thing for me to accomplish.

In thinking about the upcoming race, it made me think about the first race I ever watched. Back in 2002, I took a photojournalism class because it was required for my Magazine Journalism major. I was super excited because I knew I was obsessed with my point and shoot camera, and I couldn't wait to get my hands on a "real" camera (aka, SLR camera) and learn all how those crazy f-stop, shutter speed, ISO things worked.

However, mission failed.

I honestly didn't have a good teacher who explained it well, so I ended up getting frustrated not understanding how everything worked together. And this was before the digital cameras came along that showed you instant results of what you were doing, so it never clicked in my mind, and out of my frustration I put the camera down and thought "Well, I guess I was never meant to be a photographer."

However, during that time, one of the assignments I had for that photojournalism class was to document an event. Someone told me about a 5K race happening one morning on campus, so I thought it might be fun to go see what all the racing hoopla was about, that is, until I found out the race started at 7am! I immediately thought "Do what? Runners are crazy to get up that early, I could never be a runner." Yet, I got up at the crack of dawn with them and went to document their race. Here's a few of my "I have no idea what I'm doing with the camera" shots I got from the race. (But I do like how I accidentally got some motion blur in the pic below!)







Fast forward to now. 2010. I've become one of the crazy ones. Not only have I become a photographer, but I've become a runner. And um, I have to be at the starting line for the marathon at 6am. Gulp! I guess that's why the cliche sayings goes "Never say never!"

But here's the thing, yeah, I like to get out there and try to run, but I don't really consider myself a runner. I've never once been able to run continuously for a full mile. It's more like, run for a song length, walk for a song, run for another song, walk for 2 songs. And now I'm chasing the impossible dream of running/walking 26.2 miles? Oh, Scarlett, so like you to dream big.

But I blogged about it in September because I knew I had to hold myself accountable. I knew if I made it simply as a personal goal for myself, or kept it to myself, I would never accomplish it. So instead, I set a goal to raise money for the cause, and asked you here on the blog to leave a comment of someone you love that I could run for. What started with a goal to run for my dad, who passed away exactly one year ago on the marathon day, and my mom and Grandma, both breast cancer survivors, then turned into a t-shirt full of 55 names I'm now running each mile for.

So for Sunday... I ask for your prayer... to lift me up as I run toward the finish line. To lift me up to prevent injury. To lift up my energy levels and endurance... There is NO way I will be able to accomplish this long race on my own, so I will strictly be relying on Jesus through the strength of your prayers.

I know that any pain I endure along the way is nothing compared to what each of the 55 people on my list have been through. For those now dancing with Jesus in Heaven, and for those still fighting the good fight, I run for them.

Lastly, will you help support the cause? I set out to raise $1000, and I'm just over $300 away from that goal. I've been asking people to donate money in honor of a loved one they know who has been through cancer. The money goes toward life-saving breast cancer research at Mayo Clinic, the place that helped heal my mom from breast cancer back in 2004. I appreciate any support you can provide to help meet this goal by Sunday morning! Even the smallest amount like $10 goes a long way! You can learn more and donate here:

http://donate.breastcancermarathon.com/2010marathon/Scarlett

Thanks for your financial support and all your prayers and encouragement! I have the best blog friends a girl could have! :-)

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Ginger Dupre said...

Scarlett-I am so happy that you decided to run in honor of your sweet dad and for others that have been lost to cancer. I am also happy that you decided to run in celebration of survivors like your precious mom. I donated a few weeks ago but forgot to send you any names. I would love it you ran for one more name not on your shirt, mine. Love ya girl!

February 19, 2010 at 12:25 PM  
Blogger CPRA Advocate said...

I love that scripture choice Scarlett. I think your dad would agree. You go get em and finish that race!

February 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Erin Johnson + Caroline Edwards said...

Scarlett, what a blessing you are to your family, friends and all those around you. Thank you for putting my father-in-law's name on the shirt. I just sent a link to your blog to my family. Landon and I are going to help in a small way to hopefully get you to your financial goal.

You are in my thoughts and prayers this weekend. You have the strength. Let you Dad carry you through that finish line.

God Bless you Scarlett! All my best always!

Love-Erin

February 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlett, I don't know if I have ever posted a comment on your blog or not but I've been reading it since before your Dad past.

You are such an inspiration to us all not only in photography but in every aspect of life!! I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your unabashed LOVE for God and His Son, Jesus Christ!

My donation isn't much but I wanted to help you in some way because you have certainly helped so many of us!

Thank you! and GO GET 'EM GIRL!

February 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Rene Williams said...

Atta girl sweetheart! I'm so proud of you I could bust! Stephen and I will be waiting and cheering for you at the finish line. This will be the year of "Scarlett's Journey To Victory."

I know Daddy will be leading the throngs of angels in heaven with a rebel yell and Seminole chant pulling for his "girl baby." If you look down you might just see another set of "footprints in the sand" when you can't run another step.

Congratulations on meeting your donations quota. God bless everyone on your tee shirt you are running for.

Love,

Mamma

February 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM  
Blogger amy said...

YOU inspire me, too! I do NOT enjoy running, and I can't even fathom running that far. Best of luck!

And by the way - my friend Sarah finished her last chemo infusion this week! She still has a couple of weeks of oral chemo to go, but she is well on her way to victory! Thanks for thinking of her.

February 20, 2010 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger amy said...

P.S. You might find a little extra inspiration here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0HLz0xvDuM

Those are some of my little friends.

February 20, 2010 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It warms our hearts to see Ryan's dad on your shirt! We will be praying and pulling for you (and so will his dad!)!

February 20, 2010 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Esquire Photography said...

You're definitely an inspiration to keep tilting against the windmills! Have a great time as well - cheers!

David Esquire
Esquire Photography
www.esquirephotography.com

February 20, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You can do it Scarlett!! We all support you and know that you can complete this challenge! And your shirt is beautiful. It brings tears to my eyes! I especially love the front of the shirt. That is so powerful!! Can't wait to hear about it after you've completed it! : )

February 20, 2010 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Michelle Tanner said...

CONGRATS! AMAZING! I LOVE THE SHIRT! -Michelle Tanner

February 22, 2010 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Love the t-shirt. Great idea! Glad you made it across the finish line and made a great memory. Will you do another marathon?

February 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

As of right now, no I don't think I'll do another marathon. Maybe some shorter races if I even get back out there and run. I'm still aching from the marathon so the last thing I want to think about is running! ha!

February 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Beautiful Moments Photography said...

Good on you girl for giving it your heart and your soul. It goes to show that if you put your mind to something you can achieve great things :) Your Dad would be so proud xx

March 1, 2010 at 8:03 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Scarlett - I was so touched to read my mother's name on your shirt. My throat cinched and it immediately turned into a lump and then I was tearing up. Thank you for including her and dedicating your run to her - as well as others, who have suffered, fought, and lost the battle against this insidious disease. It does mean something to all of us.

Wendy

March 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

You made my day Wendy! Thank YOU! :-)

March 16, 2010 at 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.