..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Images For A Cure imagines a cure.
BlogMenu

Sep 4, 2009

Images For A Cure imagines a cure.

2004 changed my life.

We found out my mom was diagnosed with level 3 breast cancer.

I was a fresh collage graduate and in that phase where I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. My asked me to document her cancer journey, and as much I loved photography, it was the last thing I wanted to do. It was my mom, it was too close to home, I was a mess worrying about if I was going to lose my mom. But I finally gave in and realized, if something did happen to her, I wanted the pictures of her journey.

I knew nothing about shutter speeds or f-stops. I simply had a cheap point and shoot camera. I switched the settings to black and white, and shot from my heart.

The slideshow below are the results, taking you through my mom's first doctors visits, to getting a CAT scan, to chemo visits, to cutting off her hair, to then getting her mastectomy.






Thankfully, mom is now a breast cancer survivor. After the experience, I tucked the images in the slideshow away and hadn't looked at them in years.

Until yesterday.

And I totally bawled my eyes out.

Remembering how scared I was that I might lose my mom, my best friend.
Remembering how strong my dad was as the rock of our family during that time.
Remembering how hideous my short hair looked back then. (YES, I'm a girl, I cried about that too!)
Remembering how many miracles I witnessed during my mom's battle, and how God used that experience to show me how faithful He is.
Remembering how the Lord saved her on Christmas day when we had to rush her to the hospital the day before when the chemo became toxic in her system.
Remembering all the birds God sent my mom's way when she only prayed for one as a reminder that He was still there.
Remembering all that has changed in the past 5 years and how this was only a warm up to the cancer journey my dad would soon begin.
Remembering how that year, my mom became my hero.

When I heard about Images For A Cure starting up, I jumped on the opportunity to help contribute.

On October 11, Images For A Cure is hosting a national fund raising day for photographers to unite for a common cause and hold sessions where clients donate the session fee to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation®.

I already have an engagement session booked in San Diego that day that I'm looking forward to, but if you want to participate in a session, you can find photographers all over the country who are contributing to the cause. Or if you are a photographer, it's not too late to sign up and help out! More info is on their webste at www.imagesforacure.com. I know finances can be tight and it's hard to let go of session fees, but in Malachi 3:10, the Lord asks us to test Him in giving and promising He WILL give back even greater by opening doors of Heaven for more blessings for all your needs. I pray that you will trust God in your finances. He has given you an amazing gift with photography and I know He has BIG things in store for your photography career that first starts with opportunities like this to give.

Yesterday, Kristen of Images For a Cure was sweet to feature me on the blog! To read the interview and hear more about my story, you can check it out here:

http://www.imagesforacure.com/participating-photographers/welcome-scarlett-lillian

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a miracle indeed. That last picture shows just how sick Mrs. Rene was and now, having seen her in the flesh, she was made whole again! Praise the Lord!

Hopeing to see you in Nashville next weekend!

Love ya!
Annie

September 4, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Tira J said...

Hi Scarlett. Thank you for sharing all of this with us. I contacted Images for a Cure and am looking forward to working with them. Blessings upon you!!!

September 4, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was beautiful!! Definitely brought tears to my eyes, as we went through a similar breast cancer battle with my mom recently. Praise HIS name that both our mothers are doing well. Thank you so much for sharing.
-Scarlett Irwin
p.s.- you have your mother's smile! ;-)

September 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Jill Lewis said...

Simply beautiful and an amazing testimony of God's faithfulness.... You are a blessing Scarlett!
Jill Lewis

September 4, 2009 at 11:21 AM  
Anonymous TIna Stapleton said...

Hi Scarlett, I'm an up and comming photographer living in Newfoundland Canada, just wanted to tell you that I admire your work and especially your courage. I cried when I watched the slideshow, just knowing what your family went though. Tell your mom she's a beautiful person.

Sincerley
Tina

September 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger mpcphotography said...

What a great idea! I am signing up! My best friend was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, so it is only fitting that I do something for the cause. Thanks for sharing!

Another great opportunity for photogs is Operation: Love Reunited. :)

September 4, 2009 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger David N. Beasley Jr. said...

Awesome job capturing your Mom's journey Scarlett.

September 6, 2009 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Julia Christopher Photography said...

This is precious Scarlett! Your mama is a beautiful lady!!!!

September 10, 2009 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

Thank you SO much for sharing this with us. My 2 year old daughter heard the song, and ran over to sit on my lap... when your mom put the wigs on, my darling daughter looked at me and pointed to the computer and said "pretty"... the tears just started to flow and I told her "yes sweetheart, yes she is pretty"... i love that even a 2 year old can see the beauty in even some of the most scary situations.

September 11, 2009 at 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Betty Jo Baker said...

That was the most moving thing I have ever watched as I cry I can't even type I will think about this often thank you for sharing.

September 13, 2009 at 3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.