..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Beyonce and Taylor Swift at the Video Music Awards.
BlogMenu

Sep 14, 2009

Beyonce and Taylor Swift at the Video Music Awards.




OMG, did you watch the Video Music Awards last night?

(I'm so sure this was a PR stunt, but none the less....)

My heart jumped in excitement when my favorite girl, Taylor Swift, won Best Female Video, but my jaw dropped to the floor during her "Thank Yous" when Kanye West jumped on stage and told the world that Beyonce should have gotten the award.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I couldn't believe how rude he was! I'm officially boycotting any of Kanye's music from now on. For real.

I wanted to reach into my TV screen and just slap Kanye for Taylor. I wanted to slap him for all "Kanyes" I've had in my life too. And all the Kanyes my friends have had in their lives. I just do NOT get mean people. Especially other photographers sometime in this wedding industry.

I hurt for Taylor in that moment because I've been in her shoes. She's a sweet girl who is just trying to do her thing, just like I'm trying to do my own thing. Yet from day one of my photography career, I've had those Kanyes in my life trying to tear me down. For what? I have no idea. It has hurt, it has stung, it has made me drop my jaw saying "Are you kidding me?" and want to react in anger. But instead I've just learned to ignore the critics and if anything, the resistance motivates me to work that much harder. I just don't understand the mind of who could hate a perfect stranger for simply following her dreams. But honestly, it has helped me gain a thicker skin, and like Jesus tells us, I continue to pray for my enemies because I know God is always bigger than the insult and that He is fighting my battle for me.

I felt for Taylor when after the commercial break, she was the next performing act. Oh the courage it took for her to pull herself together and sing her song with a smile after being attacked. But what a great witness that was in my life to keep moving forward and shining instead of shrinking from the lies when an enemy attacks us.

Then I cried for Taylor when at the end of the show, Beyonce did win Video of the Year, and instead of her giving a thank you speech, she brought Taylor on stage to let her "have her moment". What a classy response that was from Beyonce. It just reminded me a lot about how God always protects us and still works for our good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28).

The ironic part is that Kanye writes in his song "Stronger": "That don't kill me will only make me stronger." And I know what Kanye did to Taylor will only make her stronger and that much bigger of a star!

And speaking of Beyonce and Taylor, funny enough, my mom just got back from Nashville and bought me the most beautiful gift from a custom jewelry store, What's In Store, where the owner, Dena Ferrell Nance, was telling my mom that she just made a similar necklace for Beyonce. She has also made jewelry for Taylor Swift. So my mom said she had to get the necklace for me! It was so stunning! I think I just might wear it during my upcoming PartnerCon talk in New Orleans to give me that Taylor Swift kind of courage! :-)

Not only was the necklace adorable, I loved her packaging!

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

so true! there's "Kanyes" everywhere. It's a lot easier said than done though to just let them make you stronger rather than break you down. Kudos to Taylor, and kudos to YOU!

(AND to your mom, that necklace is fab)

September 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Kat Braman said...

Big props to Taylor for coming out an performing like that after what he did to her. The man has absolutely no class. And good on Beyonce for what she did.

Thanks for sharing this. It always helps to read that someone as successful as you has her Kanye's too! Makes it easier to ignore the ones in my life.

"I know God is always bigger than the insult and that He is fighting my battle for me."

I may just put that on my dry erase board above my desk! So so true. Thank you!

September 14, 2009 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Jules- Big smile, I know we've talked about this before.

Kat- Awww, so cute!! And YES I've definitely dealt with my fair share of "Kanyes". I was relieved too when I heard even sweethearts like Jasmine Star and Jessica Claire do too!

September 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger Lis Ann said...

Wow, I didn't get a chance to see the awards, but that's so not cool!

I'm glad you shared your thoughts on this with us though! This weekend I had dealt with a "Kanye" as I'm getting started with my photography and it really annoyed me, but I chose not to take action. I'm so glad that I'm not alone!

September 14, 2009 at 6:21 PM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

HOW DID I MISS THIS? I can't believe he did that. How rude.

Oh, and CUTE necklace BTW :)

September 14, 2009 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Rene Williams said...

I'm so glad you wrote this post about the "Kanye's" in life to remind us all that they are:

1. cowards
2. insecure
3. unhappy
4. jealous
5. bullies

I'll bet if "Jay-z" had been the award recipient Kanye wouldn't have jumped up on stage and grabbed the microphone. No he proves what a big man he is by picking on little teenage girls. Shame on you Kanye!

BTW...the fabulous jewelry boutique the necklace came from is in a darling town Franklin - right outside Nashville - a definite diva destination!

September 15, 2009 at 12:07 AM  
Anonymous Jackie said...

Love you girl! I wish icould be there at partnercon with you!

September 15, 2009 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous stacey jones said...

I love kanye but he gotta chance his ways about himself.

September 15, 2009 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

People have no respect anymore. Satan was over the music in Heaven and he is still over it here, just look at where music has gone and is going. You can't listen to a song anymore without sex or someone getting shot or cheating with someones wife. I put them all there rock, rap and country.
MTV is from HELL don't suppot it!
Find yourself some good Gospel music and you want go wrong.
That was free...
Love ya'll!!

September 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

Amen sister! Taylor and Beyonce are both awesome! Snotty photogs drive me crazy too! No matter where we all are there is more to learn and more to accomplish.

September 17, 2009 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! I'm sure there are people who don't like me either, but you can't let it affect you. As long as your couples love you and you are happy with the work you produce and always striving to be a better photographer, then you are doing what you are supposed to do! I attribute the ridiculous high school catty-ness to jealousy. It's just foolish, just like what Kanye West did to a sweet young teenage girl winning her first award!

September 18, 2009 at 2:10 PM  
Anonymous Christy said...

Unfortunately, I understand EXACTLY what you are saying:( I had another "local" photographer tell me that I was nothing more than a "Mom with a camera." Seriously??? This made my jaw drop. It also hurt my feelings. I did nothing to this person. Yes, I am a Mom. Yes, I am new to this profession, but was there any reason to be mean?
On a happier note, I love, love, LOVE your work! You are so totally awesome and your images inspire me. Thank you!

September 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.