..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Unplugging.
BlogMenu

Aug 23, 2009

Unplugging.

This past week, I attended a Christian women's photographer's retreat in Oregon called Be Thou My Vision. I didn't take the first picture because I didn't bring my camera. I didn't take my laptop to distract myself with editing or emails. (Ok, I did take my iPhone just in case). But it was so great to just unplug and go spend time with God and seek His will for the next chapter in my life and business. All I took was my bible, my prayer journal, and a few devotional books (and, well, clothes of course), and I realized it was the first time in long time that I simply allowed myself to slow down and.... breathe.

And to cry.

I mean like one of those long hard cries. The kind where everything you have been bottling up comes spilling out. All the hurt you've been harboring. All the hurt you realize you caused others. All the fears and doubts and insecurities and ways you've realized you've been selfish and self-centered. All the regrets and ways you know you've messed up in trying to obey the Lord and seek His best, yet keep slipping up again and again trying to numb the pain. All the things you want to be mad at God about, but yet you are trying with everything inside of you to keep trusting that "everything works together for the good of those who love Him." (Romans 8:28)

The last night there, we had an hour of worship, and when the song by Kari Jobe below came on, it just so expressed that place where I'm at in life right now:

Here before your altar
I am letting go of all I've held
Of every motive, every burden
Everything that's of myself

And I just want to wait on You, my God
I just want to dwell on who You are

Beautiful, beautiful
Oh, I am lost for more to say
Beautiful, beautiful
Oh Lord You're beautiful to me



As I shared with the girls as we circled the room with our prayer requests, it's so hard being in this place where I feel like I'm starting all over again, on my own. Not just relationship wise, but business wise, I feel these shifts happening where God is shaking things up to grow my business in new ways, and it's just a culmination of that fear of the unknown in all areas of my life, though at the same time I'm excited about new visions for the future He gave me at the retreat. And in the past six months, there's a been a shift in our relationship because I've had to almost learn who God truly is as my Heavenly Father now that my own father is gone. It's all new, it's all scary.... and though I don't know what lies ahead, I do know this is exactly where God wants me, where He wants you, each day, dependent on Him, continuing to wait and dwelling on who He is... beautiful.




Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing. So bummed I couldn't make the retreat. Maybe next year?

August 23, 2009 at 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Dawn Davis said...

My dear sweet Scarlett, you have so much goodness in your life it's hard to see it with all the loss and pain you've experienced in the past 6 months. Trust in our beautiful Lord, as He has BIG plans for you. The day I met you, I knew this. I knew that you were an exceptional woman and like I've said to you in the past, I love watching you grow in this industry. You are a breath of fresh air. You're sweet, beautiful, talented and you are my sister in Christ. I believe in you. God believes in you. So many believe in you. Believe in yourself! When we ask God to bless us indeed and expand our territory, He does. And then we don't know how we'll ever get through all that comes our way, this is the time to ask Him to keep His hand on you and guide you through the times you don't think you can do alone. He will guide you from evil and do amazing things through you.

Sending you my love!

~ Dawn

August 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what an amazing song. I love Kari Jobe. check out "the more I seek you"....brings me to my knees every time.

May we all come to a deeper understanding of the abundance in which we live! keep running hard after Him!

Brooke :)

August 23, 2009 at 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Gillian said...

Wow, I would've loved to be there ... maybe one year! It sounds fabulous and that song is just beautiful ... very touching ...nothing like waiting on the Everlasting God and letting Him hold us ...

August 24, 2009 at 12:34 PM  
Anonymous Beth Morgan said...

I love you sweet friend and I KNOW that God has amazing things in store for you. You are such a blessing and His fullness awaits for you to walk in.

August 24, 2009 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger Heather Behlendorf said...

Scarlett - thanks for sharing! It is always so refreshing to have some time to unplug;)

August 25, 2009 at 7:03 PM  
Anonymous GrayPhotography - Zach and Jody said...

Watching that video and hearing what you had to write, makes me wish I was there! Nothing better than some time out with a bunch of other women, and women who share the same love for photography and the Lord. Thanks for sharing (great work by the way!) - JG

August 25, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Bethany Fegles Photography said...

Awesome post Scarlett! I'm so glad you posted this little video of this song. It has stopped me in my tracks in the midst of a busy, crazy, crying kind of day. :) Just what I needed! To turn my eyes off myself and onto Him.
I'm a good friend of Jane Johnson's and wish I could've been at that retreat too. I loved reading about it.
Blessings,
Bethany

September 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.