..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Spend a "night" with me!
BlogMenu

Nov 6, 2008

Spend a "night" with me!




Some mornings, I have to pinch myself.

Do I really get to wake up every day to the job of my dreams?

December will mark 2 years since I shot my first wedding for photography (oh gosh, how far I've come creatively!), and God has blessed my business even greater than I can imagine in such a short time.

But this time two years ago, I blogged on my old blog a quote that would change my life. I had recently heard it in the powerful movie "Akeelah and the Bee."


"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that frightens us most.
We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?’
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that people won’t feel insecure around you.
We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone.
And when we let our light shine,
we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others."

~Marianne Williamson, American author and lecturer



Rereading the quote, it takes me back to that time when I was just beginning my photography career. There were so many unknowns ahead of me. So many doubts, fears, questions. Would I be good enough at being a photographer? Would I be accepted into this industry with so many rockstars? Would I really be able to make a living at it and pay my bills or be a starving artist? At the time, I had just gotten my first SLR camera and I barely knew what an f-stop or shutter speed did. But I knew in the depths of my heart, photography was what God was calling me to do, and I knew that required taking the risk of a leap of faith to follow where my heart was being led and nervously admit to others, "I'm a photographer." I didn't know all the answers, but I knew the passion stirring inside of me would drive me to find them.

Fast forward to last night, I got a newsletter announcement from PhotographyMentor.com announcing my upcoming live video chat amongst the greats of Mike Colon, Jay Goldman and Kevin Kubota. It encouraged members, "Don't miss this opportunity to connect directly with some of the best in the business."

Whoa.

"The best in the business."

Pinch, pinch, pinch.

Wow.

It's not a dream.

It's my beautiful reality.

I am so blessed.

Thank you sweet Lord for all the ways You have prospered these creative gifts You have given me to serve the lives of my wonderful couples, while fulfilling my own heart's desires. It is only because You are a BIG God, that You have turned what was once big dreams into my reality.

I know a lot of my blog readers are other photographers, so I share this to inspire you...

If it can happen for me, it CAN happen for you!

But I couldn't have done it without those who mentored me along the way and invested their knowledge in me. And now I'm so thankful to be given the opportunity to share the same with YOU! So, you want to know my secrets?

Mark your calendars for Nov 19 at 9pm EST. PhotographyMentor.com will be hosting me in a LIVE video chat! You will be able to enter a chat room and type your questions for me, and I'll be there streaming live answering your questions on the spot. Everyone is welcome! For those who haven't been able to sign up to Spend A Day with me yet, this is a one-time opportunity to pick my brain for free! I look forward to spending the "night" with you all and I'll see you in the chatroom!

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I first heard that quote paraphased when I saw the movie Coach Carter... it resignated with me because of the character in the movie... He spent most of the movie fighting against who he could be because he was stubborn and angry at life and chose the easy way until life had to smack him in the face to wake him up... And sadly that is what a lot of us (including me) have to experience before take hold of all that God has for us...

Anyways... may God continue to so richly bless you as you continue to give Him praise for His mighty work in your life. :-D

November 6, 2008 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Amy Clifton said...

I love that quote! How powerful to realize that sometimes we hold back not because we are afraid of failing, but rather because we are afraid of succeeding. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on "taking the leap" into photography full-time....I'm working on that right now myself, and it's scary!! Congrats on all of your successes.

November 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger Just Dandy Blog said...

OH I am SO excited I can't wait!!

November 6, 2008 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger Amy Hutchison said...

Wow. It's interesting to read this. I was looking through another photographer's wedding pictures the other day going, "I KNOW I can DO that." I'm going through that same thing now... If I claim myself a "photographer" will the truly amazing ones in my life just laugh? I'm very encouraged that you have only been doing this for such a short amount of time and already are such an amazing and well-respected wedding photographer. Something that can only be done when it's God's will.

November 7, 2008 at 7:18 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

That is an amazing quote. I remember it from that movie, too.

I'm so blessed to be a part of SLP and I can't wait to see what else God has in store for SLP and our work together.

This is just one of many honors we've seen and will see for SLP.

Stylish, Passionate, Glamorous!

November 7, 2008 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you soooo much for sharing that poem! When I first started college it was one of my favorites, and it is full of so much wisdom. I had forgotten about it until reading your blog! I needed to be reminded of its message. Thank you for the inspiration!

November 7, 2008 at 5:39 PM  
Blogger Jaren said...

Awesome...printing, posting and framing this one too!

November 8, 2008 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger Nichole said...

Just what I needed to hear right thanks for being so honest and inspiring!

November 9, 2008 at 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can not wait, Scarlett! I think you are so talented and your true power IS in believing in yourself and that ALL is possible! Thank you for doing this for us- newbies! We love you! XOXO

November 9, 2008 at 10:09 PM  
Blogger GreenScarfProject said...

Yay!! I'll be there with bells on (i.e., I WILL have questions!)! LOL!

Thanks for reminding me Who is the Author of my creativity and passion. Thank you for the continued inspiration!! I needed that just today...

November 12, 2008 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Edit 1 Media said...

Scarlett...you are amazing and I'm so happy for your success!! Hopefully some day our paths will cross and we can work together.

November 19, 2008 at 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.