..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Becky spent a day with me!
BlogMenu

Sep 4, 2008

Becky spent a day with me!

One of the bravest people I know is my cousin Becky. In the summer of 2006, she ventured into the scarce land of Peru with one knapsack, a big heart to serve, and her vintage film camera. Her mission was to serve the Peruvians by volunteering in a medical clinic, but her passion was in documenting the faces she met, the landscapes she saw, and the emotions of despair that flooded the hearts who lived in a completely different culture than her on the other side of the world. Becky came back with stacks of photos from her rolls and rolls of films, and I as poured over the incredible shots she got from her grand adventure, I knew deep down she was meant to be a photographer.

The ironic part, they were some of the best photos I've ever seen, but other than pointing and clicking, she didn't know what she was doing with her camera. She just shot from the heart. But honestly, isn't that what photography is really all about anyway?

Now graduated from nursing school and ready to take her love of photography seriously, she asked to be my first client to spend a day with me to learn the ins and outs of how to shoot manually and my secrets of editing. Here's her gracious feedback:

"I had the pleasure of working with my dear cousin Scarlett Lillian for a full day and I have to say straight away that she is just fabulous!!! I am breaking into the photography business and still have so much to learn. The coolest thing about Scarlett is that she's so laid back and makes learning soooo comfortable and FUNNN!!!!!! I feel so much more confident in my skills, especially in editing, and she was really helpful in lighting tricks as well!! I've known her my whole life of course, but I can imagine a total stranger feeling right at home with her-- she just makes you feel so at ease, and no question is ever dumb!!! I would absolutely tell anyone getting into photograhy that she is a wealth of fun and information and it would totally be worth spending a fabulous day with Scarlett Lillian!!!!! "


Though her heart's desire is to explore the world shooting different cultures in a photojournalistic style, we practiced on her favorite model, her darling son Elijah, for a fun photoshoot at the park.

Here's a few of my favorite shots of him, as well as some candids from our experience! (And if you want to see some old school pics I took of Elijah when I was first switching from video to photography, check it out here on my old blog.)

Such a superstar!








I love how pensive he is in this shot.






Becky in action.




And moi in action.




Playing around with video light in a dark spot.








My favorite shot of the day.


Praying not to get jumped on getting my favorite shot of the day.




Awwwwwww.


Our future's so bright, we gotta wear shades.



Thanks Becky for all the ways you have believed in me over the years and been one of my greatest cheerleaders! I was so thrilled to give back and help cheer you on as you get your jump start to your own fabulous photography career!

Be sure to check out her new blog for the shots she got of the day too!

I have so many great sessions already lined up for the "spend a days" beginning over the next few months that I'm excited to get going and meet all of you! Due to conflict of schedules, I've had a few more spots open up, so if you are still interested in reserving your spot with me, it's not too late! Send Rachel an email at rachel@scarlettlillian.com with a date you have in mind so she can hook us up!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlett,
This is the first time I've ever commented on your website! I am an avid fan and completely adore you! This post speaks right to my heart. I just moved from Florida back to California ~ where my heart belongs. I am a hygienist who has a passion for photography! Your cousin's path is so similar to mine ~ it's incredible! My love for photography runs so deep and I try to soak up every speck of knowledge that I can. I have watched your video tutorial countless times! I cannot thank you enough for your support and generosity! I hope one day too to be able to make my dream a reality! You inspire me to do more, be more, and give back!
You rock, Scarlett!!!
Fondly,
Lauren

September 4, 2008 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Thanks Lauren for leaving your first comment! Thanks for all your sweet words! :-)

September 4, 2008 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth Bowdren Photography said...

awww.... Scarlett has that effect doesn't she!!!

I just wanted to say thank you again (now that I can look without crying!! ha ha) for being such an awesome cheerleader in MY life, helping to facilitate my dream of being a photographer. You have been such a wonderful help and the best supporter a girl could ask for!!

You're the BOMB!! :)

September 5, 2008 at 8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat little park! Where did you find it? I love the pics you both took and her son is an absolute cutie! She had better keep her eye on that little future heartbreaker!

September 5, 2008 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Sarah Cardenas said...

Hey Scarlett,
I always LOVE checking out your blog and I seeing all the wonderful photos you take! As an aspiring photographer, I'm learning SO much from all your work. It's so beautiful!
Thank you for being so open about your love for the Lord and your dad's cancer...It's so encouraging! :)

(random question) What size/pixel of pictures do you put up on your blog? Are they high resolution? Just curious!

Keep up the awesome work...you ROCK, girl! :)
Sarah

September 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scarlett!

Awesome work! You totally captured the essence in the shoot. And also, great to see another shooter taking chances with angles. I do it all the time and I think it's stemmed from a lot of my extreme sports & music industry background.

Although... I did make a few x games skaters pretty nervous with how close or out of control the angle would be. They would sometimes say they didn't want to hurt me if they crashed. I told them I wouldn't mind if I got the shot! :-)

Have a super weekend & I'll see you next week for Partnercon La - cheers!

David Esquire
Esquire Photography
www.esquirephotography.com

September 5, 2008 at 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is my first comment as well (though I am a natural blonde and have my moments, so I may have said something before)!

You're an inspiration to so many people -- I know I am inspired when I look at your work. I've only been officially in business since June, but it's looking at work like yours that keeps me pushing my boundaries and striving to learn more and more. You are seriously, ridiculously talented and your passion for your work shows in every photo you take. Thank you for sharing your work and taking the risks you've had to take in your life to get here -- lots of people are watching and lots of people are loving every single shot.

September 5, 2008 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Beautiful Moments Photography said...

I LOVE those photos of you in action and that fave shot is my fave too! How lovely of you to take your cousin under your wing and show her your craft :)

September 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Amy Martin said...

I love these! I love the colors of the playground and he's such a cute little guy!

September 14, 2008 at 9:05 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Becky- So glad you got a lot out of our day together!

Gin- I know, he totally will be a heartbreaker, and he's just as sweet in person.

Sarah- I resize everything to a websize at 72DPI.

Thanks for the rest of the love!

September 15, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.