..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: Running against the wind.
BlogMenu

Jan 21, 2008

Running against the wind.

"We have around us many people whose lives tell us what faith means. So let us run the race that is before us and never give up.
We should remove from our lives anything that would get in the way and the sin that so easily holds us back."
~Hebrews 12:1


Since the new year, I've lost all motivation to run.

And I especially didn't want to run this morning.

I only like to run when it's sunny and bright and blue skies outside.

But this morning, it was grey and dreary and cold. So cold that I had to wear gloves. For Florida, that might as well be below zero for me. I hate the cold. And worse, I hate running in the cold.

However, I knew that's exactly why I needed to go run this morning. Life isn't always sunny and bright and blue skies. There are grey and dreary moments when everything just sucks, when you just want to hit something, when you've lost all faith in things and people you once knew as good, when you want to stop faking smiles to others and cry your eyes out, when you just want to stay curled up in the warmth of your bed and not face the day. (Just being real with you all here.)

And of course, it's in those times, God not only asks us to tackle the day, but start it off running as fast we can.

So I finally got outside. Layered up in a long sleeve shirt and a jacket, gloves on, not needing sunglasses because it was that gloomy and gross out. Not only did I NOT want to be out there, but then halfway through, God sends what felt like a giant windstorm blowing me all over the place. I could barely walk, my legs feeling so heavy against the wind opposing me. And just like how my life feels right now, I couldn't help but look up so frustrated and scream:

"WHAT NEXT LORD?"

Then I heard:

"Run. This is when it counts the most. Just run. To Me."

God is crazy, I swear.

But I changed my iPod over to Casting Crowns "Praise You In This Storm" and took off running with everything I had.

I couldn't feel my toes or fingers or ears or nose. But I ran.
I couldn't breathe as the cold pierced my lungs. But I ran.
I could barely lift my legs as they pushed against the wind trying to toss me backward. But I ran.
I never run up hills and wanted to quit when I reached one. But I ran.
I never run for the full length of a song, but for 4 minutes and 59 seconds, I ran.

And just as I reached the top of the hill and the song closed with "Though my heart is torn, I will praise you in this storm" fading out, I stopped to finally catch my breath bending over feeling as if I was about to puke. But then I noticed my shadow slowly appear on the ground. I looked up, and to my surprise, I kid you not, the sun had come out.

I couldn't help but smirk thinking, "Ha, that's so much like God." In the midst of the storms swirling around us, He simply wants us to continue praising Him. To run to Him. To let Him carry us through the wind and opposition when we can barely move against it on our own. To push forward in faith trusting that even though we don't understand His purpose in the midst of dark moments, He PROMISES to flood our eyes with new light.

If we just believe and listen...

...He will bless us.



SIDENOTE:
I think I'm going to start a new Nike challenge soon for those that have the iPod/Nike dealio. Be on the look out so you can sign up and we can virtually race! I did this with a bunch of other photographers last year and it's so much fun! It was half the reason I started running in the first place, because I've NEVER been a runner before. For those that aren't familiar with it, you can check out more info here to see what it is all about and how to get your own gear. I'll post the challenge soon for you all to sign up.

Labels:

22 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Hey Scarlett! Just a note to say that you inspired me to get on my treadmill this morning. I am not hard-core enough to get outside in the freezing weather, but I really have no excuse since the treadmill is right upstairs waiting for me - a little gift from the people that lived here before me. I am determined to put it to use this year!

January 21, 2008 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Kenzie Shores Photography said...

wow. let us know soon, I think I'm going to join this time, it will keep more motivated. I've lost motivation this past week too, because of the cold, it's just waaaaaayyy to hard to go outside in the cold, :) very inspiring story scarlett :)

January 21, 2008 at 3:56 PM  
Blogger Mike Warren said...

I feel for ya girl, 12 degrees here in Atlanta this morning and staying in bed would have been great! But your writing on this is awesome! I havent been by your blog in a while, so just read through all you have been doing in the past month! Rock on Scarlett, and dont be a stranger!

January 21, 2008 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Amy- So awesome! It's been fun keeping up with your new blog too!

Kenzie- So cool, can't wait to race you!

Mike- Thanks! Wow 12 degrees. Brrr. Great to hear from you!

January 21, 2008 at 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know again how much I enjoy your blog. It really is a bright spot in my day when I get a chance to read it. My pastor said this Sunday that the Christian race is the greatest race ever because not only do we run for Jesus, but we run with Jesus as we run to Jesus. I thought was so awesome!

Anyways I love it when people talk about their journey in Christ. Sometimes when I write my emails I feel like I am just running my mouth and no one really cares lol but your blog really encourages me to start writing more often again... so yeah just wanted to let you know that.

January 21, 2008 at 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just read your blog about running against the wind and I kid you not I have tears in my eyes! I really needed that!! I'm going through so much with this new job transition with my boss and the stress of the world and that really touched me!! Thank you for that and thanks to the lord who uses you to get to me!!

When are we going to go to church:)!!!!

January 21, 2008 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Kara Pennington Photography said...

I'm definitely in on the next challenge - lemme know when you are going to start! :)

January 21, 2008 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger *Linda said...

Your site is awesome. I think God brings us to places for reasons. I have been so frustrated with his purpose for my mother suffering from Alzheimer's lately, and your blog today was the insight I needed to just have faith even in the storms of life.
Thank you!

January 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Jenn- So great! Thanks for confirming all of this with what your pastor said!

Jen- I know, we need to think of a good church to try! Glad my story could help.

Love2teach- Funny, right after I read your comment, a friend sent me this link. It reminded me of what you said. I encourage you to check it out:

http://parentswish.com/site01/big.html

January 21, 2008 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Okay, girl, not only are you the most amazing photographer on the planet, now you need to write a book. You are amazing. I have listened to that song so many times, and every time I hear it in a new way. The way you put things into words is simply astounding...... You are so inspiring. I'm now stalking your blog like a crazy woman!!!

P.S. SEVEN degrees here in Maryland this morning!! :)

January 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM  
Blogger Lifeprints said...

Amen, girl! =)

January 21, 2008 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Markissaearle said...

Scarlett! This was such an awesome post, I really loved reading it
Cheerio
-Melissa E Earle

January 21, 2008 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger Dane Sanders said...

Right on Scarlett! Let's race :)~!!

January 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Timeless- Ha, yeah actually I've been thinking of writing a book. I have a lot of ideas, but just trying to pray about which one to follow through with. But thanks for your encouragement. And wow, 7 degrees. I would never survive!

Lifeprints- :-)

Melissa- Thanks girl! Cheerio back to you!

Dane- Great to hear from you! Looking forward to racing you! ;-)

January 22, 2008 at 2:23 AM  
Blogger Jess Cumbie said...

funny that timeless wrote about the book thing too... I was just simply going to say... when is this book coming?? I think it would be something that I couldn't put down!!! and I don't really like to read... :D

You and Jen are welcome to come to my church, it's in the area of Biscotti's www.gcajax.com

January 22, 2008 at 7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! This reminds me of when I used to go running on the beach, in the sand. Talk about runnign against the wind, against the water, against the sand...crazy! It felt amazing though and I'm hoping to go back when it's a bit warmer. Another analogy I like to use is "deserts" for those tough times we have to endure. They say that once we've been through the desert, we are closer to God. I'm definitely in a desert right now, but as he always did before...I know God will bring me through.

Good luck with the running challenge!

January 22, 2008 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Mary Marantz said...

gosh, what an awesome, awesome post! i literally felt like i was right there with you!! Check out the lyrics to Rascal Flatts' song "Stand". I think you'll like em!!

xoxo
M:)

January 22, 2008 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Jess- You are are too sweet. Thanks for your encouragement about the book. And yes, I do still need to try out your church!

Rachie- I agree about the deserts. And yes, I miss running on the beach. I need to get back out there too.

Mary- :-) I LOVE that song. I've actually already been listening to it a lot lately. Thanks girl!

January 22, 2008 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger Shara Lana said...

Wow! That is AWESOME! I wish that I could write like that! It is so amazing to watch Him work through you. You are such a wonderful vessel for Him. You are so open, honest and most of all STRONG. Your story is one that I will always follow. No pressure though, ; ) , you know that you are up for a good race. It may not always feel like you are but you KNOW a life with out him is no life at all. Look at the richness and beauty that you allow Him to create in your life. Even in your darkness, you receive. That is a tremendous choice not all have grown to. You are truly blessed and because of that, you truly are a blessing! Keep your chin up and your eyes will always be on Him.

January 23, 2008 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Ok Shara, totally make me teary eyed. Every word you wrote touched my heart deeply. Thank you so much sweet Shara! Truly.

January 24, 2008 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Melissa Jill :) said...

Hi Scarlett,

Wow--great post. Thanks for being so genuine and sharing your heart. I think we would be good friends :). And you're gorgeous by the way! Keep up the running!

January 24, 2008 at 1:21 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Melissa- Awww, thanks girl for the sweet words. From reading your blog too, I agree that I can tell we would be good friends. I hope our paths cross to meet sometime in the near future!

January 25, 2008 at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.