..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: A "duck"umentary: Part II
BlogMenu

Dec 6, 2007

A "duck"umentary: Part II

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: There is a time to be born and a time to die..."
~Ecclesiastes 3:1-10


I'm the type of person who doesn't really show emotion one way or the other. When I'm upset about something, I tend to keep it to myself. When I'm excited about something, I might smile big, but I also stay pretty reserved. But this morning I was jumping up and down and screaming with excitement! My little "god-ducklings" were born!

Some of you might remember the little documentary I made last spring about a Momma Duck I look after around the lake I live on. In the spring, she laid a dozen eggs, but one by one, they disappeared and none of the eggs ever hatched. My heart broke for her as she slowly lost each of her babies. She diligently sat on her nest for 4 months hoping they would hatch, but the gestation period is really only supposed to be 30 days. At the end of the summer, she finally gave up and starting exploring other areas of the lake. Rhett and I continued to feed her every day as part of our walk around the lake, and last month I discovered she laid a new dozen eggs. Again, slowly, one by one they disappeared, and yesterday she was down to seven eggs. I was concerned for her yesterday because when I saw her, she had abandoned the nest and was in a different part of the lake, she was soaking wet, and looked like she had been attacked because some of her feathers were gone. I tried to lead her back to the nest with the bread, and she came about half way, but then got scared and ran the other way. So last night I was real worried about her and the remaining eggs and anxious to check in on her this morning to see if she made it back to the nest.

To my excitement, I discovered this morning, not only was she back at her nest, but two of the eggs had hatched!!!!!!!!! I even got to watch the second baby coming right out of its shell at that very moment as I walked up to the nest. I ran back to my condo and grabbed my macro lens, ran back to the nest, hopped the fence and took a million photos of these first moments of life. People were walking by amazed that the Momma Duck was letting me get so up close to her and her new babies, but I told them, "Oh, we go way back, I feed her everyday and she knows me. I'm practically the baby ducks' godmother!"

There is somebody who encourages me everyday always asking me, "What brought you life today?" And this is definitely what brought me life today. ;-)

So here's some of the photos of the cutesy fresh babes! And by the way, for those that aren't used to Florida ducks, these are called Muscovy ducks. I only know that from research because in high school I did a science fair project testing the hypothesis, "Do ducks really prefer bread, or other food groups?" I know, real scientific there. ha!

















Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Ariana's Corner said...

That just shows Gods love for us and the instincts he gave to all the animals and how to care for their young!
Guess that is kinda the way humans are in a sense!
Great Pictures! And Congrats for your Grandducklings! lol

Ariana

December 6, 2007 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Rachel Brooke said...

That is so neat that you got to witness this! God can use creation to teach us a thing or two. The persistence and hope of this mother duck who continually lost children, yet had the strength to keep on trying is ministering to me today. Thanks for this post!

December 6, 2007 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Kenzie Shores Photography said...

awwwwwe how precious!
kz

December 6, 2007 at 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful experience, thanks for sharing it with all of us!

December 6, 2007 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I love it! What darling lil "god-duckies" you have!!

What did your research tell you about the bread and ducks? I used to feed the ones around my place bread but someone told me it was bad... so now I get that corn stuff at the store for them.
At least now there is bread when I want a sandwich... instead of me realizing that I gave the last of it away! : )

December 6, 2007 at 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlett, this is wonderful! The miracle of life witnessed first hand. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 6, 2007 at 4:13 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

So cute huh? I just went and checked again, and another one had hatched too!

Tracy- LOL, well I found in my science fair project that they did actually prefer bread more. They did still eat the other food groups, like we gave them bologna and fruits and veggies and cheese. But the bread is what they ate the most of. And yeah, I have wondered too if it was bad for them, especially considering how bad white bread is for us humans. But oh well. Maybe I should look into getting that corn stuff too? What exactly is it???

December 6, 2007 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Jamie Koluch said...

How amazing!!! Those photos are really neat, because you got to capture such a special moment. :) Congrats on your god-ducklings! ;)

December 6, 2007 at 6:28 PM  
Blogger Jen Harris said...

Amazing! That is so awesome!

December 6, 2007 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Thanks gals!

December 7, 2007 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger wrecklessgirl said...

scarlett, this is so darling! i was tearing up right here at my house reading and seeing the pics. what a beautiful story <3 k.

December 8, 2007 at 5:00 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Kristy- Awww that means a lot that you teared up at the pics. :-)

December 8, 2007 at 8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your heart not to mention your work. Will you share with me the lenses that captured these awesome moments? Also, were you shooting with your 5D?

December 9, 2007 at 1:28 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Thanks Pam! That was my 100mm 2.8 macro lens on my 5D! I usually use that lens for up close ring shots, but it also makes for a great portrait lens.

December 10, 2007 at 3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.