..CATEGORIES....|....OLDER POSTS....|....MY WEBSITES....|....PRESS....|....VENDOR FRIENDS....|....COPYRIGHT .........

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
UPDATE: I'm now documenting Jacksonville high school senior portraits.
You can view my senior website here!
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////


WELCOME TO MY WORLD.
I HAVE THE MOST FABULOUS JOB DOCUMENTING LOVE. BEAUTY. FASHION.
ALL THE PLACES AROUND THE WORLD MY CAMERA TAKES ME.
AFTER WE MEET, THIS IS WHERE I SHOW YOU OFF.
I ALSO LOVE RAMBLING ABOUT ALL GOD IS TEACHING ME ON THIS JOURNEY.
I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU & DOCUMENT YOUR DAY.
EMAIL ME ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!



FEATURED ON TLC'S "WEDDING DAY MAKEOVER."
VOTED BEST OF 2010 NORTH FLORIDA WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER BY THE KNOT MAGAZINE.
VOTED #1 BEST WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER 2009 BY JACKSONVILLE BRIDE MAGAZINE.
Serving clients in Jacksonville, FL, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra and surrounding areas.


FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER /// SUBSCRIBE TO MY BLOG /// BE MY FRIEND ON FACEBOOK

Jacksonville Senior Photographer // Scarlett Lillian Seniors: A date with God.
BlogMenu

Oct 26, 2007

A date with God.

Ever since my mom got cancer in 2004, I made a vow to myself that I would start doing things that scared me and to walk through my fears.

It came in baby steps.

First, I broke up with my first love.
Then I went surfing.
Then I got up on stage and performed karaoke.
Then I tried online dating.
Then I broke up with the online date.
Then I quit my secure corporate job.
Then I moved out of my parent’s house.
Then I started my own graphic design turned video business.
Then I agreed to model for some photographer friends.
Then I became a photographer.

Then last Friday night, I did something else that has always scared me. I went on a date... with just myself. I was in Destin, FL to shoot a destination wedding for Julia and Hugo (their photos are coming soon!), but I was supposed to have dinner with my cousin Becky who lives near by. However, Becky was sick as as a dog, so our dinner plans got canceled. And my second shooters were still driving down from Atlanta, so I was left in Destin, all by myself, with nothing to do. So rather than go back to the hotel, I decided to live it up.

For the first time ever, I walked into a restaurant and asked for a “table for one” followed by a movie for one. Two things I never thought I would ever do in one night. As independent as I’ve always been, eating by myself and going to a movie by myself were two things I never ever ever ever wanted to do by myself. But wow, I honestly had so much fun!!

As I wrote the list above, I kept thinking “Psh, that’s not so bad.” But let me tell you, at the time when they were huge mountains in my life I had to climb and overcome, including Friday night. And it’s just amazing the places God can take you when we finally let Him have control.

For example. Tonight I had dinner at a restaurant that just 2 years ago, I conquered one of the fears... singing karaoke. My cousin Becky had just broken up with a great love of hers too, so I dedicated and belted out “I Will Survive” to her while celebrating her birthday. Here’s a video clip below (Becky is the hot blonde!).

Yes, I know, I’m blackmailing myself here.



So tonight I went back to the same restaurant to celebrate the fact that I DID survive. All the fears that I continue to work through, I have survived. All the dreams I have been scared to chase, I have survived. All the moments I could have settled for less, I chose not to and instead have survived. I proudly lifted my Cosmo and toasted to being single and fabulous all over again.

Since I had just come from the wedding rehearsal, I had my camera on me and decided to document the night to share the highlights of my date. When we let Him, God totally knows how to romance us. First He picked me up in my car I’m saving up for, a convertible Mercedes (ok, so I didn’t ride in it, but I parked right in front of it and couldn’t resist taking a photo). Then I got out of the car to see He painted me the most beautiful hot pink sunset sky. Seriously, it was breathtaking. Then our dinner at the restaurant, and onto my Heaven aka ColdStone Creamery, then finally ending the night with a great movie, “Why Did I Get Married?” Though I’m not married yet, the movie had a lot of great lessons on how important commitment is through the good and bad of married life. I really recommend it and it was a great date movie for the Big Guy and I. Even afterward, I couldn’t resist, I went in the photobooth at the movie theater, and used my camera to take a bunch of funny photos.

So here’s a slideshow of my night. And may you also find the courage to do something this week that scares you. There’s no greater feeling than conquering your fear to discover it is only False Evidence Appearing Real. Start by taking a bunch of photos of yourself at a photobooth. It’s so much fun!

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger Kara Pennington Photography said...

Looks like you had an awesome night!!

October 26, 2007 at 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you.. thats so awesome.. I have in my life done things that I was affraid to do. Gone to England by myself.. Got Divorced from an abusive alcoholic..etc etc.. things I never thought I could do.. and the things I learned about myself and the personal strength I have gained from that, and continue to gain from doing just that stuff I was always affraid to do. So good for you.. rock on with your bad self

October 26, 2007 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger Christina LeMarr & Susan Hanson said...

OMG I love it!!! Hey, I did the huge wine/drink list (it's about as big as they're food menu), and the table tents that were on your table at bluepoint!! Is the food good there? I've done stuff for alot of destin restaurants/bars there!! One thing I hate doing too is eating out by myself. I too am pretty independent but hate the movie/eating out solo. Don't know why. Go Girl!!!

October 26, 2007 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Kara- I did!

Liz- We truly do gain a strength from doing the things that scare us! It's so awesome to hear all you have accomplished too!

Chris- GET OUT OF HERE! Small world! I was thinking they had great design! And yes, the food is YUMMY!

October 26, 2007 at 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehehe... alone movie dates are the best! Sometimes there are those movies that you and no one else you know want to see. You never know if when you go to one of these movies and singly guy will be there alone too. Remember the couple in "Father of the Bride?" They met in a movie theater in Paris! The ice cream looked great too!

October 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A date by yourself? I LOVE that idea!!! thanks for the inspiration :)

October 26, 2007 at 4:35 PM  
Blogger Jen Harris said...

Thanks for being so real with us...I admire the fact that you are candid with your thoughts, feelings and fears. It's awesome!

October 27, 2007 at 12:07 AM  
Blogger Steven Kang said...

Hi Scarlett,
Very beautiful post you made here.
You are awesome.
By the way, they let you take your camera into the theater?

October 27, 2007 at 1:40 AM  
Blogger Jess Cumbie said...

So while I love you to death, it's a good thing you aren't quitting your day job for American Idol tryouts or anything. :P

Congratulations on your date with yourself!! I remember my first movie alone and dinner alone it was refreshing and something I did to overcome the fear of being alone. (shortly after God gave me Wes, LOL) There are times that I'd just rather go to dinner all my me onesies just to people watch. I'm glad you had a great time in Destin and I can't wait to see the photos from the wedding.

October 27, 2007 at 8:18 AM  
Blogger Corinna Hoffman Photography said...

You are soooo adorable, Scarlett Lillian!! :-D

PS - I love that sunset picture!! :)

October 27, 2007 at 9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

I love the karaoke - rock on!

I'm typing this here b/c I will probably forget to ask you this - but we are running the Jingle Bell run the first weekend in Dec. if you want to do it. (In Valdosta).

October 27, 2007 at 3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scarlett, your post actually had me in tears! Don't worry, they were happy tears. Your love for God and for the world around you amazes and inspires me. You are such a beautiful person! I can't wait to ask you to do my engagement/wedding pictures (when the time finally comes!) =) God bless!

October 27, 2007 at 11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so great Scarlett! I'd never have the guts to pull it off.

October 28, 2007 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Rachel- I forgot about that in Father of the Bride!

Sasha- Glad I could inspire you!

Jen Harris- Ha, being so candid is conquering a fear in itself.

Steven- I snuck it in my purse... along with the ColdStone icecream. :-)

Jess- Ha, yeah honestly I am a good singer and tried out for a show called Popstars before American Idol and made it past a few rounds, but that night it was so loud in there and I had had a few drinks, and yeah, it just didn't come out pretty. :-) That's cool though that you also went on a date with yourself before you met Wes.

Cory- It takes one to know one!

Jill- Cool about the run, but I'm so out of shape right now, I tried to run again the other day, and I was huffing and puffing as if I had run a day in my life. But now with the crisp weather, hopefully I can back out there more.

Katie- Thanks so much for your sweet words! I can't wait to shoot your engagment/weddinng photos one day!

Tristan- Try it, you might surprise yourself!

October 28, 2007 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger Shara Lana said...

Yah For Scarlett!!!!! And for God!!!!!!!! I know that you had a blast! You are doing it right!

October 29, 2007 at 7:46 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

You are awesome girl!! I love it!!! Your post made me wanna go out on the town all by myself!!!
your newbie photog. friend...who can't wait for a Q and A sessiion...
jill

October 29, 2007 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Shara- Yay for God!

Jill- You totally should go out on the town by yourself! Let me know if you do!

October 29, 2007 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Darice Michelle said...

How fun. You are too cute. What a great way to be alone and just think and enjoy life. :-)

November 2, 2007 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Scarlett Lillian // Jacksonville Senior Photographer said...

Darice- :-) Yep, life is too short to not enjoy every moment!

November 5, 2007 at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


// OLDER POSTS //

September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
February 2015



//SUBSCRIBE//

For blog stalkers, here's my RSS Feed!


You can also receive my new blog entries in your inbox.
Enter your Email





//COPYRIGHT//

The images on this blog are the property of Scarlett & Stephen Photography. Images may not be reprinted without the permission of Scarlett Lillian.
However, you are welcome to use them for personal web sites such as MySpace, Facebook, etc with the link back to this blog, and keeping the logo on the photo. If you would like to use the images for any other purpose, please contact Scarlett Lillian at scarlett@scarlettlovesstephen.com. Thanks!

Jacksonville Senior Portrait Photographer also serving Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Amelia Island, Orange Park, Fernandina, Nocatee.
Jacksonville Photographers Senior Pictures, Jacksonville Senior Pics, Jacksonville Senior Photos, Jacksonville Senior Portraits, Jacksonville Senior Photographer, Jacksonville High School Photographer, Jacksonville High School Portraits, Scarlett Lillian Seniors.